Pubs in Sydney Australia
A Metropolitan Fire Board map from 1910 recently displayed by The Historic Houses Trust at the Justice and Police Museum shows an area of Sydney in which there were 160 pubs where there are fewer than 40 today.
The six o'clock swill, sly groggers, SP bookmakers, and prostitutes of the turn of the century mean the culture of drinking establishments in those days won't be missed, but the classic buildings might be.
However, we can help document some of the amazing architecture and many historic pubs live on in memories.
Otherwise, enjoy some of Sydney's history through 10 of its abandoned public houses...
- The Abercrombie Hotel
- corner of Abercrombie Street and Broadway: On the site of the former Australian Hotel, the current art deco style building was erected in 1937 following the widening of George Street West, or Broadway as it became, and is now heritage listed. Its 2010 closure was seen as the loss of a staple of the local music scene.
- The Castle Connell Hotel
- corner of Regent and Wellington Streets, Chippendale: One of the few remaining pubs from the many that used to circle the old Kent Brewery.
- The Lord Raglan Hotel
- 12 Henderson Road, Alexandria: Sitting near the corner of Henderson Road and Wyndham Street (and very close to Raglan Street), this fondly-remembered watering hole sits in an area that used to house at least triple the number of pubs that still exist there.
- The Arncliffe Hotel
- Princes Highway, Arncliffe: Sitting right on one of Sydney's busier roads, this quirkily-designed building became the Airport Hotel before closing in 2008.
- The Terminus Hotel
- 61 Harris Street, Pyrmont: Thriving during early-1900s industrial Pyrmont, this pub survived the area's change of character but recently shut, even though its history is still evident in its walls.
- The Hopetoun Hotel
- 416 Bourke Street, Surry Hills: A classic pub near the meeting of Bourke, Fitzroy and Foveaux streets that was a staple of the Sydney live music scene before closing in 2010.
- The Palisade Hotel
- 35 Bettington Street, Millers Point: The original pub on this site was built around 1880 near the palisade fence that ran from Munn Street to Bettington Street and was popular with wharf workers before the Sydney Harbour Trust built the current five-storey Federation Free style structure in its place in 1901.
- The Berkeley Hotel
- 158 Abercrombie St, Redfern: The former Eveleigh Hotel stands opposite the former City View Hotel at the edge of the famous Block in Redfern.
- The Victoria Royal Hotel
- corner of Francis and Hargrave Streets, Darlinghurst: A classic sandstone-based building sitting opposite an historic row of 19th century terraced housing.
- Leichhardt Hotel
- corner of Short Street and Balmain Road, Leichhardt