Ultimate Guide To The Australian Working Holiday Visa | Travel Nation

Holiday Working visa in Australia

Holiday / November 10, 2018

Planning to stay and work while you're visiting Australia?

If you're aged between 18 and 30 and hold a passport for a country or region participating in Australia's Working Holiday Maker programme, you may be eligible to apply for a 12-month visa which enables you to work in Australia while you are here.

The Australian Government's Working Holiday Maker Programme, which includes the Working Holiday visa and the Work and Holiday visa, is a cultural exchange programme which enables young travellers to have an extended holiday and earn money through short-term employment. If you work in Australia's regional areas, in certain circumstances you may even be able to extend your stay for an additional 12 months.

The Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection manages all permanent and temporary immigration matters for Australia including visa applications. Their website will tell you everything you need to know about how the Working Holiday Maker programme works, participating countries, the type of visa you need to enter Australia, your eligibility and obligations and how to apply: www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work

The Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) & Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462)

The Working Holiday Maker programme has two types of visas: Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) and Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) depending on your country of residence. See below for lists of countries eligible for each visa.

If you intend to participate in Australia’s Working Holiday Maker programme, you must apply for your visa before you arrive. These types of visas allow you to stay and work in Australia in all types of full-time, part-time, casual, shift and voluntary work for up to 12 months. You can leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.

You can also study for a maximum of four months in Australia in addition to working during your holiday.

You will need to meet certain health, character and financial requirements and declare that you will respect Australian values and obey Australian laws before a visa is granted. You should also have a return or onward ticket or the funds for a fare to depart Australia. Health insurance from your own country is also recommended.

The Working Holiday Maker programme is not suitable for those seeking permanent employment or full-time study in Australia. If your primary reason for coming to Australia is to seek employment or study you should enquire about a business visa or student visa which may better suit your needs.

Read the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection visa requirements carefully to determine your eligibility and obligations before you apply. There is a non-refundable charge when you lodge your visa application.

Which visa should I apply for?

Apply for the Work and Holiday visa (Subclass 462) if you are from:

• Argentina
• Bangladesh
• Chile
• Indonesia
• Malaysia
• Poland
• Turkey
• Thailand
• Uruguay

Apply for the Working Holiday visa (Subclass 417) if you are from:

• United Kingdom
• Canada
• Belgium
• Denmark
• Estonia
• Finland
• France
• Germany
• Hong Kong
• Italy
• Japan
• Malta
• Netherlands
• Norway

Source: www.australia.com